Motor Carrier Authority Setup

Comprehensive trucking company setup, ensuring FMCSA compliance.

We offer a comprehensive solution for initiating your trucking company, ensuring adherence to FMCSA regulations. Our services include:

  1. Professional Processing: We handle the complete processing of your Motor Carrier Authority Application, guaranteeing accuracy and efficiency.
  2. USDOT Number: We assist you in obtaining the necessary USDOT number, a prerequisite for operating a commercial vehicle.
  3. BOC-3 Form Filing: Our experts file the BOC-3 form on your behalf, fulfilling the requirement of appointing process agents for each state.
  4. UCR (Unified Carrier Registration): All fees associated with UCR, including vehicles owned or operated (up to 2), are covered in our service.

Motor Carrier (MC) Number: To engage in interstate commerce, specifically the transportation of goods across state lines, an MC Number is mandatory in addition to a DOT Number. The following situations necessitate inter-state operating authority:

a) Businesses involved in transporting passengers across state lines for compensation, whether directly or indirectly. b) Transportation of federally-regulated commodities owned by others or arranging their shipment for compensation in inter-state commerce.

The MC Number serves as an identification for carriers engaged in the transportation of regulated commodities for hire in inter-state commerce. This number is mandatory and pertains to items that have undergone alterations from their natural state or fall under the regulation of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).

Three Types Of Operating Authorities

  • Common Contract Or Broker Authority - MC
  • Mexican Domiciled Authority - MX
  • Freight Forwarder Authority - FF

The operating authority (MC/MX/FF) numbers are also known as docket numbers.

Determine Whether You Need Operating Authority Or Not

To determine whether you need an operating authority or not, you must answer the following questions:

  • Are you a private carrier?
  • Are you available for hire to haul exempt commodities (goods not regulated by the government)?
  • Do you operate exclusively in a federally-designated zone exempt from any inter-state authority?

If "Yes," you do not need operating authority. However, if you do not fall into any of these categories, you will be classified as an entity involved in inter-state commerce; therefore, you will need operating authority.

NOTE: If you deal with hazardous materials, you need operating authority regardless of where you travel across the U.S..

If your cargo crosses state lines, whether loaded on your trucks or not, you are engaged in inter-state commerce


Related USDOT Services

IRP Registration

Operate in multiple jurisdictions with home state registration: IRP advantage.

Business Registration in any State

Creating a company protects owners' assets amidst legal disputes or claims.

Clearinghouse Registration

Promote safety: Clearinghouse grants access to CDL driver records.